Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sweet Little Harvest

This afternoon we finally harvested our sweet potatoes. I was a big-time slacker with weeding my garden, and after planting in partially shaded raised beds this spring, I read that sweet potatoes really prefer super-hot, full sun garden locations. My expectations for this harvest were pretty much non-existent, but I was pleasantly surprised!

This was our first experience digging potatoes, and there must be an art to harvesting them without marring their skins that we were just starting to figure out. Jack and Fred loved running their fingers through the soil looking for the tubers. This small haul was from six plants in a less than ideal garden environment, so we are pleased and looking forward to growing more next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment