Sunday, January 29, 2012

The One Thing They Say About Catholics Is...

I read an article this afternoon about a man in France who is fighting the Catholic church to be "un-baptized." I've never given this much thought, but I too was baptized into the Catholic church as a baby, and I suppose the church still recognizes me as Catholic as well.

It's interesting to read the comments on this article. As with most discussions involving religion, there are fairly strong opinions demonstrated. I have to admit that though I hadn't thought much about it before, I sympathize with this gentleman and his desire to be stricken from the church records as a Catholic. I never gave my consent for this so-called sacrament, and it's purely a matter of geography that I was born into a family that practiced Catholicism (at the time.) Why should the church still consider me a member all these years later, when I most certainly am NOT a Catholic?

Now, just to be clear, I don't have a bigger problem with Catholics baptizing their babies than I do with other Christians who indoctrinate their small kids with Sunday school and Bible camp and then claim their seven year old children "choose" to accept Jesus. Obviously neither scenario involves choice on the part of the kids. That said, I think it's pretty ridiculous for the Catholic church to refuse this man's request to be removed from their records, and it speaks a lot for this particular religion when a member has no right to leave said religion.

And on that note...

No comments:

Post a Comment